Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sweet Potato Hash

Hi there!
I have a small obsession with sweet potatoes, even growing up my favorite dish for Thanksgiving was the sweet potato casserole. (Not sure if it was for the sweet potatoes or the mini marshmallows) The sweetness, bright orange color, it reminds me of family dinners. It's also super nutritious, so I encourage everyone to make sweet potatoes their go-to complex carb, especially if you are very active. On the days I go to Crossfit I always make sure to get some good carbs from my favorite source, sweet potatoes!

Whether you are having them before or after a grueling WOD, in the morning or at night, this recipe will become a hammer in your culinary toolbox, I guarantee it.
This week I'm sharing with you a really easy hash that makes a great hearty breakfast! Every time I make this hash I always get rave reviews and it only has a few basic ingredients as well as several add-in options. This is a sure-fire way to start your day, or any meal for that matter, off right!

Sweet Potato Hash:

Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes- peeled and diced
1 large red bell pepper- diced
1 med sweet onion- diced
2 tblsp Cinnamon
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
2 tblsp grass-fed butter- or bacon fat, ghee, duck fat


Add-ins-
Cooked Sausage
Blueberries
Fried Egg

Preparation:
Heat 1 tblsp grass-fed butter in a large pot on med-high, add in sweet potatoes, cook for a about 5 mins, stirring occasionally (you want the sweet potato to start to soften)


Add in onion and pepper, stir to combine. Add in Cinnamon, Cayenne and 1 tblsp grass-fed butter and cook another 10 mins. Then turn down the heat to low, put the lid on the pot and let cook for another 20 mins. (This is the point where I add some cooked sausage link slices. I usually grill the sausage and slice it up before hand or you can get your super awesome significant other, friend or family member to cook them up while chopping the potatoes. The amount is up to you, but I usually use about 5 large links). By cooking slow and low, the sweet potato, onion and pepper will get soft but not mushy.

Scoop onto plate or bowl and enjoy!

Add-in: I will usually make this and take it to work for breakfast. When I reheat it I like to add a few blueberries. When they heat up, they burst, adding a bit of tart sweetness to the hash.

Another idea is to place a fried egg on top of the hash, the yolk makes a great sauce and the egg adds a great source of protein.

Or why not go crazy and add all three, you really can't go wrong!

Thanks for reading and don't forget to subscribe and get the latest posts sent straight to your inbox!

**I Love Feedback!!! So please leave comments or questions and I will personally respond. I won't have someone pretending to be me answering questions or replying to your comments, so feel free to leave them. And when my blog is HUGE and I have to outsource someone in another country to respond to all the comments for me, you can say that you knew me back in the day when I was just a little fish in the big blog pond. (say that three times fast!)

Just kidding that will probably not happen, but leave a comment anyway!

And now a funny cat photo:
Haha! He's wearing a lemon on his head!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I didn't think about making this without eggs! Do you cook the sweet potatoes a little before you dice them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I just peel, cut in half, then cut into 1/4 inch slices, then into strips and then dice into cubes. I know that seems like a lot of work but all you need is a sharp knife, your only cutting up two. I also try to get two sweet potatoes that are fatter and more round than the crazy long shapes they come in sometimes. I think you could boil them a little first but then you would have to wait for them to cool before you could start chopping them, but it might makes them a little easier to chop up, just make sure not to cook them too long. This should make enough for a week for two people. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete